Saturday, October 4, 2014











"Your most unhappy customer is your greatest source of learning" - Bill Gates

The third of my life spent working as a host has taught me two things; there's no better feeling than the crumple and toss of a four page wait, and most restaurant goers personally sign their names on the shit list of the waiting staff. Take this with a grain of salt, or continue to take the container of salt. It's up to you. But here's how to really peel back the skin of a host/hostess.

You just got your name onto an hour an a half wait list, you have three options; leave scowling in the wake of successful business, sit down and wait for your treat, or tell a joke. Two of the three make the host or hostess only managably irate, the other explodes like a grenade with its shrapnel composed of annoyance. Don't tell your host the same old exhausted jokes when they're in the weeds. As funny as it may seem, your host has called a name on the wait, had them not respond, and had someone giddily  shout "We can be Margie!" They've heard it six thousand times, just stop.

Don't get mad at the host. It's their job description to get as many people in and out of a restaurant in an efficient manner. That being said, telling a customer a longer wait than they're actually anticipating actually makes their job harder! So if we say an hour, were sorry (actually not), but that's just how long we think it'll be!

Overall, just treat your waiting staff with respect, and PATIENCE. After all, it is your food they're dealing with.





3 comments:

  1. "We can be Margie!"

    I actually groaned when I read this. Why do people think they're funny?

    Your complaint hits its mark and will make readers consider their behaviors when next they're at a busy restaurant.

    Other thoughts:
    --While I like the Bill Gates quote, I don't see how your complain supports it; in fact, the point is more about NOT learning from customers!
    --Your text is centered here. Just use regular left hand margins.
    --I wasn't sure what you mean with this: "leave scowling in the wake of successful business"--what successful business? I had a big HUH there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how this would be a difficult situation to be put into. You have to the be the one dealing with the crabbiness of the customers head on. You are the one who sets up the mood for how the rest of their time there is going to go. Dealing with customers in general, is never an easy thing. I bartend and often deal with the issues of the kitchen and have all of that taken out on me. Customers can be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -
    When people get mad at others for doing their job, I just don't understand. Things have sort of escalated into an instant gratification society; like when I am screaming at my cell phone to work & then I realize it's a miracle & privilege to even have a device that can answer almost any question I have. Maybe the rude people have just forgotten they should be grateful they even get to eat; that going out is a treat, some people are poor, starving! I mean, no preparation, no dishes; just sitting at the bar having a beer or a pop before someone serves you. How is that a reason to complain!? We are so lucky, it's a shame people forget that.

    Also, couldn't they just call for a reservation? Jeez.

    ReplyDelete